The aims of a Development Application (DA) are:
- Ensure the developments do not have negative impact on the environment.
- Balance public and private interest in terms of desired/future character of the area.
- Provide a non-biased process that allows members of the community to raise issues and ensure that the outcome is balanced.
- Ensure that the local services and infrastructure are adequate.
- Ensure structural safety, enough ventilation and sunlight.
The State and Local legislation set the rules that control developments on your land. The planning system has the following structure:
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000
- Environmental Planning Instruments:
a. State Environmental Planning Polices (SEPPs)
b. Local Environmental Plans (LEPs)
- Development Control Plans
For more information refer NSW Planning Portal